Wednesday 12 June 2013

Just missed old friends at Rugely


I have some concerns over the security of Tilly May. When the stern door is locked with the Yale lock it can be opened with a few sharp jiggles. After much thought the best solution was to drill a hole through the brass runner at the right point so when the slider is closed a padlock can be put through the hole preventing the roof from being opened. All I have to do is find someone who can drill the hole. This morning as I walked through Fradley Junction I saw a chap wrestling with a hose. "Don't suppose you know where I can find a chap to drill a hole in my boat?" "What sort of hole?" "About the size of my little finger, drilled through the runner". "I'll do it, just pull in here on your way up". So after filling with water, we stopped behind his boat, he popped out with a drill and did the job perfectly. "How much do I owe you?" "Nowt, just do a lock for me some day". I don't even know his name, such a nice chap, thanks who ever you are.
We needed a few provisions so decided to stop at Rugely. As we approached the town moorings we spotted NB Amarantine moored facing Fradley. We haven't seen Lynda and Ken since we were stuck in Leicester last summer. Unfortunately we didn't see them today either. The boat was locked, we did our shopping and hung around for an hour but no sign. Unfortunately we have a do to go to in Stoke so could not stay any longer. Such a shame, we so wanted to meet up with you again chaps. Hopefully our paths will cross again before the summers out. All the very best Lynda and Ken (we did leave a note but the rain may have made it unreadable).
Just after Rugely we came across a boat firmly run aground. The couple looked like they had been there for some time, so after a couple of attempts we managed to tow them free with the help of another boater with a boat pole from the bank.
We are now moored just outside Little Haywood with no other boats in sight. I tested the new Weber BBQ by cooking the massive steaks purchased from Cotes in Alrewas. It turned out we were not so alone as we first thought.


Its been a long hard day with a far bit of rain, poor Spot can take no more



No comments:

Post a Comment