Wednesday 22 May 2019

Were in the Rhythm

After a good meal and a good nights sleep we awoke feeling refreshed and ready to push on. We are starting to regain our cruising rhythm.
We intended to stop at Arewas and then do the same at Fradley Junction. After some discussion we decided to continue through Arewas to catch up on lost time yesterday. The run alongside the A38 is not one of our favourite cruises in fact the only section I like is passing through the 7ft bridge. I have to confess I do this “Thread the Needle” manoeuvre at high speed just for the fun of it - my apologies CART.






After the puppy miss-adventures of the first day we now have a system that seems to work. I have attached two old leads to the stern rail and use these to attach the two pups new leads. This gives them room to walk around the stern without the option of jumping off the side. The pups have such different temperament, Brea (we have now decided she can inherit the title of “Spot”) is very laidback but Maggie is always on the go so I have a plan. We think Maggie will be much happier on the roof but currently cannot be trusted. I have cleaned a section of Tilly Mays old centre line. This is smooth like climbing rope. I will use cable ties to attach this from the centre ring to the central heating vent. This will run the the stern half of the boat. I will attach a stiff webbing lead to the rope with a loop and more cable ties. With the lead adjusted to the right length Maggie can run the roof without the possibility of falling off. Well that is the theory. First Tilly May needs some basic cleaning. As you can see I have started on the roof and have finished one side. I hope to finish the other side when we get to Fradley as the towpath will have switched sides.

We moored at Fradley Junction at 2:30pm. Five hours of cruising. We were pleased with our pace and have adjusted our cruising speed to a maximum 3 lock/miles an hour with a maximum cruising time of 5 hours. That gives us a maximum of 15 lock/mile daily cruise which has us moored up by 3pm each day.

Finally - we had a great meal in the Mucky Duck. I had a fantastic Coates Steak and Ale pie from Arewas that would have choked a donkey (Please do not feed donkeys Steak and Ale pies they are Vegan). See you tomorrow campers.

No comments:

Post a Comment