Saturday 12 May 2012

Alrewas and the Cobb BBQ


Nice day, lots of sunshine, thousands of chicks skidding across the water like clockwork toys. Today we saw our first batch of swan chicks, see below.

Finally moored at Alrewas and just managed to get to Coates the butchers before they closed. Two sirloin steaks for tea, plus a hand raised pork pie the size of my head for later in the week.
As we have the steaks it is now time to put the new Cobb BBQ into action. Its the one the Hairy Bikers used when they were doing their first series. It has some advantages over other portable BBQ's, the most important of which is, it is cool to the touch, so you can put it on plastic tables or the roof of the boat without any fear of damage.
Cobb BBQ in action

Overall the Cobb experience was not great, the steak was overcooked and steamed rather than grilled, but some important lessons were learnt, so next time things will work better.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have tried roasting a chicken on the Cobb but I have found thats what it seems best at. Quarter a medium chicken and it will cook perfectly in about 1.5 hours. I've been disappointed in almost everything else I've tied to cook on the Cobb. Do you have any suggestions or tips from you experience using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you Steve, I am new to the Cobb, but I thought if the Hairy Bikers used it it should be ok. I have cooked a whole chicken which was ok but took well over 2 hours. I think the key is getting it hot enough before starting. I am using their Cobbnuts as fuel which they say take about 10 mins to get hot. I think it is more like 30 to 40 mins, and done't cook steaks with the lid on unless you want boiled steak

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,thanks for that. I will persevere with it as it cost so much. If I come up with any flashes of brilliance whilst using it I'll let you know. Every review I've ever read about it says its marvellous and the best way of cooking outdoors.

    With this weather it's going to be used over the weekend on a couple of occasions. I'll try steak without using the lid and I'll let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve,
    We are off the boat for 3 weeks now and I have left the Cobb behind so I think you will have had more experience of the Cobb by the time we are back on the move. Do you use brickets or the special Cobbstones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris

    I use the Cobblestones as they are supposed to burn hotter. I left it half an our after lighting to warm up and then managed to boil my lamb chops. I had to brown them off under the grill. I think I'll try fish next as that needs a gentler heat. Not impressed with it at all !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve,
    Do you have the extension ring to cook whole chickens, if so I was wondering if you could put the ring on to keep in more heat but leave the dome off so the meat does not boil. I will try this when back on the boat

    ReplyDelete